Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Year - A New Plan and a look back!

Wow - 2010. Time passes by so fast as we get older! I can't believe that Hunter will be turing 7 this April and my baby Trapper will be 4 in March!! How the heck did that happen???

First I want to take a quick look back at 2009 agility wise. It was a huge success for us as a team!

It was my first full year trialing in AAC (I also did several NADAC trials). During the year - Trapper is now in Masters Regular and Jumpers. He's in Advanced Gamblers and Snooker. A job well done!

Trapper Qualified for the 2009 NADAC Championships - but we did not attend as they were too far to travel! He won a few "Top Dog" awards along the way and our NADAC high for the year was him winning "Top Elite Dog" in a 3 day trial in Victoria BC this past August!! He was consistent and motivated the whole weekend - which was fantastic since there was 14 runs all in all!

2009 was our first AAC Alberta Regionals ever! I was soooo excited! You need 350 points in order to qualify for the AAC Nationals. My goal for Trapper was to get 300 points as I don't have a lot of distance with him so I knew we wouldn't get a lot of points in Gamblers.
Well the little man surprised and impressed me so much~we acheived 408 points and did indeed qualify for Nationals! He was amazing! Ottawa was too far to travel as I don't fly with my dogs - I would have to drive so we didn't attend but just qualifying was my agility highlight since I've been into agility!!

Hunter just recently acheived her ADC in AAC agility - I was so proud of her as she was so quick and focused during that last run - she was great!!!

So - now we look forward to a brand new year and a few goals to try and acheive!

1- Qualify for Nationals with Trapper. They're in Calgary this year so of course it would be awesome if we can acheive this!!!!

2 - I need more distance with Trapper! This will be my priority to work on this year! Along with this I will be working on better teeter and dogwalk performance. I need them both to be quicker!

3 - In an earlier post I wrote about Targeting Trapper to get him more motivated in agility. In addition to this I signed up for a seminar with Sue Charlton from Edmonton to build value for obstacles. I'm really looking forward to this. I really want to make agility more fun for Trapper!

4 - This is a soft goal - meaning I truly don't mind if it doesn't happen. I would like to trial Hunter a little more in AAC this year and enter her in Regionals. I have to see how she does and be cautious with her. I have to see if she can stay focused and not sniff and be distracted at times. I also have to work on her weaves. Actually - her entries are fantastic! But she pops at weave number 10 at times! I'll be doing some re-training with her and try to get her weaves more consistent.
If she does well in training and I decide to enter her in Regionals and she does stay focused then this will be a huge success (she doesn't have to qualify for Nationals at all - this is expecting too much).

5 - Is for myself! I've always been a bit of a jock all my life! I love sports and was always pretty good at them! For my age - I think I'm still in pretty good shape - but I would like to lose some weight before Regionals. I know that people who know me may think I'm crazy because I guess I'm not really overweight - but in the last 10 years I've gained about 10 pounds. So it's not huge - but I definitely want to lose a solid 10 pound before Regionals. They are held in June (around June 20th I believe) so that would only be about 2 lbs per month I would have to lose.
I would feel better and I would be a bit quicker on the agility course.

So there you have it! Above all - I want to have fun with my dogs in everything we do this year - agility related or not!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment