Sunday, January 17, 2010

Targeting Trapper part 2 / Seminar Time!!

TARGETING - Thursdays class was the first one since Christmas break.  We are continuing with Trapper's "targeting the course" plan as I explained in a recent post!  My instuctor Keri set a target after every obstacle and they were loaded with a treat.  I said "GO" and then "GET IT" as he got to the treat and went on like that through the whole course!  He loved it and and whipped through the course with great motivation!  We did that a few times and then the real test came - We left all of the targets out there but didn`t load any of them!   I only said `GO`at the start but that was it.  I ran and directed him through the course as if there were no targets set - he stopped and sniffed at the first few targets only - but then incredibly he focused and never stopped the rest of the course and we ran through it beautifully and he was very motivated!!  SUCCESS!!!  The only bummer is that my class is every 2nd week.  I`d love to have this class every week - and if it wasn`t winter - I could train on my own in my backyard - I miss summer!

Seminar - I had an afternoon `Building Value for Obstacles`` seminar with Sue Charlton and loved it!!  Trapper is food and toy motivated so that was the easy part!  Too much detail to really write here - but we were shown how to build value for jumps - tunnels - rear crosses into tunnels, weaves and all contacts.  Especially for the teeter as Trapper does the teeter - no problem - but way too slow!!  Some great tips and advise and once again I just wish it was summer so I could practice more in the backyard!  It was honestly one of the best seminars I`ve been too!  Trapper was fried after it last night and was snoring up a storm on the couch!! He was soooo cute!!

Well - it`s a beautiful Sunday morning and I have to take the kid`s for a walk at the offleash park and start all my housework and laundry - I`d rather play with my dogs all day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment