Saturday, November 28, 2009

AAC vs NADAC

When I first started Hunter in agility around 4 years ago I entered an AAC trial. I liked it - but I was so new and inexperienced. They're were so many fantastic handlers that I felt intimidated. I was taking agility classes with a group that trialed in NADAC - so I entered my first trial in that venue and also really liked it! I've made so many really close friends that I still have today! I trialed solely in NADAC until the last year. I felt there were too many changes in NADAC. I was really disappointed that the teeter was taken out of trials. Distance is really pushed in NADAC and let me tell you, watching some of those handlers directing their dogs from that distance line - well - it's a thing of beauty!!
However - I LOVE running with my dogs! It's why I started agility - to bond and be a team with my pups! Now - you can still run with your dogs in NADAC - of course, but the courses are made for distance.
When I made the decision to start trialing Trapper in AAC (just about a year ago) - a lot of my friends told me I was "turning to the dark side!" huh??? There are fantastic things in NADAC that I really love - and the same goes for AAC. I find the courses in AAC tighter - you have to be very quick with your commands - you cannot take things for granted. My personel opinion is that for me and my dogs - at this time - AAC is more challenging!
There are no refusals in NADAC. Believe it or not - I love that refusals are in AAC. It makes me think more on course about trying to get a more flowey run and to really watch out for traps. They're some incredible "Elite" dogs in NADAC who are truly awesome, but I just don't feel right when they stop - refuse a tunnel or jump or spin and spin in front of an obstacle and still have a qualifying run.
NADAC is wonderful especially for a new dog as the courses are more open and the games like tunnelers and touch n go are great for motivation and contact training if needed!
I really like the fact the NADAC is VERY strict on having control of your dog when entering and exiting the ring - always on leash and you cannot play tug with your dog until you are well out of the ring.
I think that AAC has the same rule - but to be honest I don't believe that it's enforced much. Because of NADAC I always enter the ring and exit with Hunty and Trappy on leash - then we play - whichever agility venue we play in.

I love watching the handlers in AAC - a few in particular that if I can - I'll always stop and watch because they're so cool and quick and awesome to watch. I try to learn off of them as much as I can!!

I will still trial in NADAC in the future for sure - but for now my concentration is on AAC. It's what I'm really enjoying right now and I can't wait for Regionals in June to try and qualify for Nationals here in Calgary. My first regionals this past June in Lethbridge was the thrill of a lifetime for me. It was so well organized and so exciting for Trapper and I!!
Who knows - maybe I'll even enter Hunter at Regionals next year - if she still seems focused as she was at the Wee Wed trial this past week - you never know!!!

If "turning to the darkside" means being challenged in a different way, being pushed to try and be a better handler, making new friends and enjoying something new - then I don't mind!

To each her own! :o)

3 comments:

  1. so glad you are enjoying AAC. I also came over from NADAC, I competed there for 7 years, and now have been in AAC for 4.5 years.
    I too enjoy the challenges of AAC.
    I was asked, just last month, How do I deal with the unsafeness of AAC courses?
    my response was " I would not run my dogs in a unsafe organization"
    AAC has developed my handling skills to be sharper and more timely. and to run with my dogs. I love it! When you are on its a rush, when you crash, well, you go back for more...to learn.
    my most favorite instructor says , Kathy Keats, if it feels uncomfortable you are learning... so true

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a great post! glad to have found your blog (through sarah)

    ReplyDelete